Thursday, June 19, 2014

NOVA Bound: Rulings and First Run Tyranid List

Well, NOVA has unofficial rulings on the GT posted in terms of force organization restrictions, which should let everyone move along with choosing their force. The overarching rulings are that armies are limited to two detachments, and a single Combined Arms detachment. However, allied detachments are not restricted to being outside your primary detachment, allowing for quasi double CAD.


Once I read Mike Brandt's ruling, I got to work on my first Tyranid list for NOVA. After my experience at SpikeyCon, I knew I wanted a little more focus on combat and more big bugs if I could fit them in.

Something I've been discussing with the other guys is just whether a Tervigon is worthwhile. I'm leaning towards no, though BeeCee and Ron have their reservations. I'm also wanting to toy with is a combat focused Flyrant. With the boosts to Jink, and FMCs being able to jink while gliding, he will certainly be gliding all game long, looking for a turn 2 charge.


Finally, with the possibility of Progressive Objectives or adaptations of Maelstrom missions (per BAO), I like the idea of hormagaunts. They do well at getting places quickly, and with objective secured, can sneak an objective away or deny other troops. They are however very fragile and pretty dependent on synapse.

Anyway, the initial list looks like this:

  • Primary Nids:
    • Hive Tyrant: Wings, Electroshock Grubs, 2 TL Devourers
    • Hive Tyrant: Wings, Electroshock Grubs, 2 TL Devourers
    • Zoanthrope
    • Zoanthrope
    • Venomthrope
    • 10 Hormagaunts
    • 10 Hormagaunts
    • Crone
    • Crone
    • Exocrine
    • Exocrine
    • Tyrannofex: Acid Spray, Electroshock Grubs
  • Allied Nids
    • Hive Tyrant: Wings, Boneswords, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
    • 10 Hormagaunts
The list has a total of 14 potential kill points, which is always a weak point with Tyranids. That said, it also has 5 FMCs and 8 MCs total. The army would rely on a base of the three heavy support MCs, held together by the zoans and venomthrope, and shielded by one squad of gaunts. The other two gaunt squads would often wind up in reserve, looking to stay out of trouble and scoot around the board late game. 

A variation to this list that I will probably try first is to swap an exocrine for a Haruspex, then give it Adrenal and Toxin, dropping the CC flyrant to two Scything Talons. The reason for this change is that I think the Haruspex will be good at taking on opposing combat units gunning for my Exocrine and T-fex, and he can also support the CC Flyrant. Another variation would be to free up another 5 points and take a Trygon.

No matter what GW does, I can't quit this model.
As far as a project list, this year, with a variation of this list, I won't have to do too much painting to get ready for the table:
  • Must Paint:
    • 10 Hormagaunts
    • Tyrannofex gun and head, and underside of former tervigon
    • Flyrant with magnetized Bonesword Options
    • Haruspex Head and Claws (about 50% as is)
  • Stretch Goals
    • New Crone converted with action base
    • 10 Hormagaunts (replace old hormagaunts with poor painting)
Compared to last year, this list is tiny. The bigger stretch will come from trying to bring a non-Tyranid army for the Trios. I'm leaning toward Necrons, though Tau are contenders, with Tyranids as the obvious fall-back. 

But what do you think of the list? It's a bit of a changeup from what I've been fielding, but I like that it should be much simpler to deploy and generally faster to play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment