Friday, January 30, 2015

Necrons - Early List Building

With the cavalcade of leaks and early pics from the Codex, I've gone ahead and tried to adapt my painted Necrons to an 1850 list using the new point values and setup. Some of the big changes are Crypteks becoming HQ choices rather than slotless, a 33% price hike to Annihilation Barges, and a bump to minimum Warrior sizes. Early look says that Wraiths are the hotness from the book, but I don't have any painted (and only 2 old metal models), so they'll be left out for now.

First off, I have to start with the models I have, particularly those I have painted. These are mainly what I painted up for my Trios army for NOVA last year and so includes:

  • Overlord on Catacomb Command Barge
  • Cryptek
  • Orikan the Diviner (other Cryptek)
  • 2 Necron Lords (often used as Crypteks)
  • 23 Warriors
  • 10 Immortals (old metal models)
  • 5 Deathmarks
  • 2 Night Scythes
  • 3 Annihilation Barges
  • 11 Scarabs
  • Transcendent C'Tan

My pretty limited backlog of other Necrons includes 2 more Barges, 10 or so more warriors, 2 metal Spyders, 2 metal Wraiths, 4 Destroyers, and a Destroyer Lord.

Unfortunately, a large portion of my army, the Annihilation Barges and Night Scythes, took a bit of a beating in the new book. The Night Scythe I think is now balanced at 130 points, and still a decent deal. The Annihilation Barge took a pretty hard hit with a 33% price hike. The three I have would have gotten me four in the previous version. 


Also, the most expensive model in my collection, the C'Tan, took a huge hit, and while I think he's still good, is nowhere near the over powered monstrosity he once was. 


Moving ahead with the new codex, first things first, I can't take the Codex specific detachment because I don't have any Tomb Blades. I can however take the Mephrit Dynasty Detachment, which allows units to reroll 1s on Reanimation Protocols. That's a super good detachment bonus, giving Troops nearly a 40% chance of ignoring wounds, 

To add to that durability, I'll take at least one Cryptek to join a unit and boost their survivability even more. With these ideas in mind, I have come up with the following rough list:
  • Mephrit Dynasty Detachment
    • Cryptek (Warlord): Chronometron
    • Catacomb Command Barge: Solar Thermasite, Edge of Eternity
    • 10 Warriors
      • Night Scythe
    • 10 Warriors
      • Night Scythe
    • 10 Immortals: Gauss
    • 5 Deathmarks
    • Annihilation Barge
    • Annihilation Barge
    • 8 Scarabs
  • Conclave of the Burning One:
    • Transcendent C'Tan
    • Cryptek: Godshackle
    • Cryptek
These leaves me with about 15 points left over. My thought is to likely trade the Edge of Eternity in for a normal Warscythe (giving me another 10 points or so I would guess) and hopefully get me enough points for the Veil of Darkness for my Cryptek. 

This would allow me to put about half the army in reserve, with super solid tough units on the board awaiting support from the Troops and Flyers. The damage output is potentially a concern, but durability should be there, with three AV13 vehicles, a big swarm, and the Conclave (9 T8 Wounds). 

What are your thoughts? What would you do with the new Necrons? What are you looking forward to in the new book?

No comments:

Post a Comment