Monday, February 9, 2015

FTN Seasonal Tyranids

I've been touting it everywhere, but at the end of the month I'll be in Durham, NC at the Forge the Narrative Winter Seasonal. At the time of writing this, I have just over 18 days to paint up everything I want for my list. I'm also working through finalizing my list and trying to get some last minute playtests.


The quasi-final list, assuming I can make sure everything gets fully painted, is looking like a Double CAD to keep Objective Secured on my minimal troop units.

  • 3x Flyrant: 2 Twin-Linked Devourers, Electroshock Grubs
  • Malanthrope
  • 2x3 Rippers: Deep Strike
  • 10 Hormagaunts
  • 10 Termagants
  • Dimachaeron
  • 2x Crone
  • 2x Mawloc
  • Tyrannocyte
The basic idea is to use the termagants as a screen and the hormagaunts and rippers to jump on objectives while the Flyrants, Mawlocs, Crones, and Dima in Tyrannocyte rain down on the enemy half. 

In the next 18 days, I have a serious painting backlog that needs to get knocked out in order of priority/need:
  • Flyrant - 3rd Edition model with Forgeworld Wings and converted devourers
  • 3 Rippers - Forgeworld bases, base coats down
  • Dimachaeron - partially assembled
  • Tyrannocyte - partially assembed and mag'd.
The Dimachaeron is a beautiful kit and just a little intimidating. At the same time it should be fun to paint, I just need to make sure to add some debris to the base to make the stuff he's standing on fit in a bit more. 

The rest of the army should be good to go, though I might spend some time on some touchups. The only other debate is which of my display boards to use. I have my old 2x2 display board, which would require some repair and updates that I used at NOVA 2013 and the SCARAB 2014 GT.


On the other hand, I could go with the slightly smaller board I put together with Eric from the 11th Company in his Display Board session at NOVA 2014. It's not quite as detailed, but a little easier to transport. It too will need some work, though minimal. My one concern is it doesn't show how my bases can match up together. It does, however, have some nice stands for models on focal points. 


Looking at the two side by side, I like the look of the newer display board, but space could be a serious concern, with a list with 9 Monstrous Creatures, space could be tight. 

But what do you think? Which display board do you like better? Let me know in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment